Monday, May 23, 2011

Healthy Weekend Treats

Dark chocolate covered anything will quickly catch my attention.  Last week I stumbled upon this delectable recipe for Chocolate covered Kiwi popsicles.  I immediately planned to make them, and since my mom was in NYC visiting, we decided to spend our Sunday making these yummy treats to snack on.  We added our own flair to the recipe and even brought in some natural whole almonds for an extra yummy treat.  So here they are for your enjoyment: Dark Chocolate Covered Kiwi Popsicles and Dark Chocolate and Toffee covered almonds!


Dark Chocolate Covered Kiwi Popsicles

What I used:
Kiwis
Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
Canola oil (you can use coconut oil if you want to add an extra flavor kick)
Popsicle sticks
Parchment paper
A double boiler (or in my case, a pot with a small pan resting securely on top)

Peel and cut kiwis in to 1" thick rounds and shove them onto the popsicle sticks.  I set them on the parchment paper on top of a baking sheet.  Once they are all ready to go, pop those babies in the freezer until they are frozen.

Next, grab your chocolate chips and oil, and melt them together using the double-broiler (water in the bottom, chips on the top).  Once  it's all melted, transfer into a glass bowl and let it cool for few minutes.  Grab those frozen kiwis out of the freezer and start dipping.  Replace them back onto the parchment paper or let the chocolate dry and eat it right there!  I covered the kiwis and put them back into the freezer for another five minutes or so.  I love my chocolate crunchy!



Dark Chocolate and Toffee Covered Almonds

What I used:
Natural Whole Almonds
The same chocolate/oil as before
Hershey's Heath Toffee bits

Grab those almonds and start dipping them in the remainder of your chocolate sauce.  Next, sprinkle toffee bits on top of the almonds.  Once you are content with the amount of delicious almonds, pop them in the freezer for about five to ten minutes.  Take out and enjoy!!



1 comment: